Access by land to the following departments:
- 265 km (166 miles) east of Arequipa.
- 389 km (244 miles) south of Cusco.
- 45 km (29 miles) southeast of Juliaca.
- 1,495 km (935 miles) southeast of Lima.
Distances from the city of Puno to other points of interest in the same region:
- To the Airport (Juliaca), 55 km / 45 minutes to 1h.
- A Juliaca, 44 km / 45 minutos.
- To Juliaca, 44 km / 45 minutes.
- To Sillustani, 34 km / 40 minutes.
- To Ayaviri, 137 km / 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- To Chucuito, 18km / 20 minutes.
- To Ilave, 54 km / 1 hour.
- To Aramu Muro or Ajayu Marca, 62km / 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- A Juli, 79 km / 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- To Yunguyo (border with Bolivia to go to Copacabana) 128 km / 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Desaguadero (border with Bolivia) (148 km) / 2 hours 45 minutes by paved road.
The city of Puno, is located on the shores of Lake Titicaca (The largest navigable lake in South America and highest in the world) its most important attractions are; the islands of the Uros, Taquile and Amantani, Islands that were populated since time immemorial by the civilizations of Quechuas and Aymaras. Around Puno and Lake Titicaca you will find the following attractions: the chullpas of Sillustani, the peninsulas of Llachón, Chucuito, karina and Luquina chico.
Lake Titicaca is a body of water located on the Collao plateau in the Central Andes at an average altitude of 3812 masl Between the territories of Peru and Bolivia. It has a total area of 8562 km² of which 56% correspond to Peru and 44% to Bolivia (176 km long and 50 km wide), its maximum depth is estimated at 281 m and its average depth is 107 m.
We can also visit other tourist sites or attractions in Puno such as:
- Quechua Route (Puno - Cusco)
- The archaeological complex of Sillustani: an archaeological site for the impressive funerary towers of the per-Inca and Inca cultures. surrounded by a spectacular lagoon called Umayo.
- The pink city of Lampa: Beautiful town with its imposing Temple of Santiago Apóstol, its catacombs and its stone bridge.
- The archaeological complex of Pucara: this wonderful village shelters in its entrails the remains of the pre-Inca lithic museum, as well as the sculpture of its inhabitants, such as the famous pucara bulls.
- The canyon of Tinajani: imposing stone canyon, quiet and enigmatic place.
- Route Aymara O Lupacas (Peru - Bolivia)
- Chucuito: A beautiful town, famous for its temple of fertility, its churches, viewpoint and trout farm.
- Juli: Known as "The Little Rome of America", due to its beautiful churches that have the same characteristics as the churches of Rome.
- Aramu Muru or Hayu Marca: A sacred place for visitors, it is characterized by its enigmatic inter-dimensional door carved in solid rock simulating the famous Puerta del Sol, an ideal place for mystical activities.
- Pomata: characterized by its church of Santiago Apóstol, of mestizo style, and the incredible panoramic view of the lake and the Copacabana peninsula.
- Kasani: is the border Peru with Bolivia, very busy by tourists to visit Copacabana, Isla del Sol and Luna.
Language: The official languages of Peru are Spanish, in the Puno region, two Quechua and Aymara native languages are spoken, the majority of Quechua-speakers are bilingual and have Spanish as a second language. The same happens with the Aymara, whose languages are restricted mainly to the Altiplano.
The inhabitants of the northern part of Puno speak Quechua and in the southern part they speak the Aymara, taking into account the midpoint of the city of Puno.
Temperature: The department of Puno has an average annual temperature that fluctuates between 3 ° C and 17 ° C, on sunny days the temperature reaches 22 ° C. The temperature may vary according to the time:
- Between 5:00 and 7:00 am the temperature can range between 5 ° C and 8 ° C
- Between 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, the temperature can range between 14 ° C and 22 ° C
- Starting at 5:00 p.m. plus, the temperature starts to drop until the next day.
Puno has a cold and semi-dry climate, the difference in the seasons is not very marked, but it has two well-defined seasons, and then we will mention details of the two seasons.
- October - March: constant rainy season, hot weather (3 ° C during the night to 17 ° C during the day). When there is rain the temperature drops drastically, after the rains the region of Puno presents a green landscape in all its fields, making it look splendid, in the middle of the month of September - December: in these months the sky Puneño, is cleared with varied temperatures from 3 ° C to 15 ° during the day.
- April - September: dry season, however this lasts 2 months since in June it is the coldest month: the temperature can vary from -10 or -6 ° C during the early morning or at night and up to the 17 ° C on the day that presents a radiant sun and mid-July - September: months when it has strong wind currents.
Area: The department of Puno has an area of 72,000 km², approximately, represents 5.6% of the Peruvian territory, with a population of 1 200,000 inhabitants, of which 60% is rural and 40% is urban.
Topography: It is flat in a large part of its Andean territory; also, part of its territory occupies the jungle region, bordering the jungles of Madre de Dios.
The Carabaya and Volcanic Cordillera cross the department from East to West forming a large ring that closes the Vilcanota knot. In the middle of this ring it extends to the Meseta del Collao, an extensive inverted cone-shaped plain whose center is occupied by Lake Titicaca.
Carlos Dreyer Museum
This museum, declared Cultural Heritage of the Nation on July 23, 1980, is located in the main square of the city of Puno. Location: Jr. Conde de Lemos No. 289. Service Hours: Monday to Saturday (9:30 AM to 7:30 PM) and Sundays (2:30 PM to 7:30 PM)
- Foreigners: S / 15.00
- Foreign students: S / 10.00
- Nationals: S / 5.00
- Premises: S / 2.00
- Schoolchildren: S / 1.00
This important museum of the city of Puno has 8 exhibition halls which we detail:
- Inca Hall: Where well preserved objects of cultures of the coast and mountain range of Peru are exhibited, samples of pottery, stone weapons, weavings, sculptures and mummies; of the Moche, Nazca, Chimú, Chancay, Tiahuanaco, Pukará and Inca cultures.
- Gallery Lithic Hall: Where sculptures and stone monoliths of the Pukará civilization are also known as "The Mother Culture of the Andes".
- Regional Archaeological Hall: Where we will find gold and silver objects, sculptures in stone of the Pukará, Tiahuanaco, Colla, Lupaca and Pacajes cultures settled near Lake Titicaca, in territories known as Umasuyo (eastern side) and Urcusuyo (western side).
- Death Hall in the Altiplano: Where the "Treasure of Sillustani" is exhibited, composed of more than 500 pieces of gold that were part of a funerary trousseau of the Inca period found in 1971, as well as mummies found in the Archaeological Complex of Sillustani and a replica of the Chullpa del Lagarto (Sillustani).
- Pinacoteca Hall:Where paintings are exhibited from the collection of Carlos Dreyer and painters of the Laykakota circle belonging to the indigenista current.
- Colonial room: Where we find silver objects, pins, rings, a numismatic collection and documents related to the Spanish Foundation of the city of Puno in 1663.
- Religious room: With paintings in gold leaf and silver objects of a religious nature.
- Dreyer Room: With bronze objects and war ornaments from the Republican era.
- The Balcones de Puno:
- Located a few steps from the main street in downtown Puno on Jr. Libertad # 354 is the only restaurant with live music and dance show from (7:30 pm until 9:00 pm).
- Telephone 051-365300.
- Located in Plaza de armas Jr. Lima # 635 2nd floor, with a beautiful view of the plaza and the cathedral of Puno offers a variety of local and Peruvian food.
- Telephone 051-363182.
- The big house
- Located on the main street Jr. Lima # 423 2nd floor, with a lovely balcony from where you can appreciate Lima street offers an exquisite variety of local, Peruvian and international food.
- Telephone 051-351108.
- It is located 7 minutes from the city of Puno at the Casa Andina Private Collection hotel on av. Sesquicentenario # 1970 undoubtedly one of the best restaurants in the city from where you can appreciate a beautiful view of the lake and the city of Puno. Telephone 051-363992.
- The Uros:
- Located in the Hotel Libertador 10 minutes from the city of Puno Esteves S / N Island with the best view of the lake and the city offers an exquisite variety of options. Telephone 051-367780.
- Coca Kintu:
- (Typical Food) Located in Jr. Lima Nº 401.
- Telephone: 051 - 365566/951300738.
- Typical Food) Located at Jr. Lima 339.
- Telephone: 054 774858.
- (Pastas and Pizzas) located Jr. Lima # 430 - Puno.
- Telephone: 051-367771 E-mail: email@example.com.
- Traditions of the Lake:
- (Typical Food) address: Jr. Lima # 418 - Puno.
- Phone: 051-368140
- Restaurant Pizzeria (Pastas y Pizzas), located Jr. Libertad # 334, Puno.
- Telephone: 051-365209 - E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kamizaraky: Bar Café:
- Address Pasaje Grau # 148, E-mail: email@example.com, Web: www.kamizarakyrock.com.
- Address: Jr. Libertad # 340 - Puno.
- Telephone: 051-351199, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: www.lachozadeoscar.com.
- Pacha Mixologi Bar: It is the only bar where you can enjoy molecular drinks, located on the main street in the center of Puno Jr. Lima # 370, open from (05:00 pm - 02:00 am) where you can enjoy the best Music selection accompanied by a cozy atmosphere where there is also a pool table.
- Positive: Located on the main street in the center of Puno Jr. Lima # 386, open from (06:00 pm - 02:00 am) where you can enjoy the best selection of rock, pop, alternative and reggae.
- Kamizaraki:Located a few steps from the main street in the center of Puno Pasaje Grau # 148, open from (06:00 pm - 02:00 am) where you can enjoy the best selection of rock, pop, alternative and reggae.
- Déjà Vu: Located a few steps from the main street in the center of Puno Pasaje Grau # 214, open from (06:00 pm - 02:00 am) where you can enjoy the best selection of rock, pop, alternative and reggae.
- Karaoke: Cantobar, located on Lima street # 378 on the 2nd floor of a cozy atmosphere you can enjoy a wide repertoire of topics in English and Spanish, open from (08:00 pm - 03:00 am).
- Disco: Domino, located a few steps from the main street in the center of puno safe and welcoming environment where you can enjoy varied music, open from (09:00 pm to 04:00 am) in the Jr. Libertad # 437.
- Lounge: Color's Restaurant Lounge, Located on the main street with a thematic and cozy atmosphere you can enjoy a variety of drinks and snacks (11:00 am - Midnight): Jr. Lima 342 - For drinks, cocktails and appetizers.
WELLNESS AND SPA
- Spa: We recommend the spa of the hotel liberator located 7 minutes by taxi from the Plaza de armas of Puno, offers the steam and dry sauna service where you can also make use of its Jacuzzi. To make reservations you can contact directly the hotel 051-367780.
- Beauty Salons: We can find these services in Ata passage located between the jr. Arequipa and Moquegua in the center of Puno.
WELLNESS AND SPA
- We can find these services on Lima street between the pine park and the plaza de armas (2 blocks) we recommend Inkafarma Jr. Lima # 364 and Arcángel Jr. Lima # 298.
- Telephone 051-369802.
- Banks, ATMs and House of Changes
- We can find these services in Jirón Lima between the pine park and the plaza de armas (2 blocks) We recommend you take tickets in good condition (not broken or stained) as they can not change these tickets or they could give you a lower exchange rate, The offices of the following banks are also located on this street (Interbank, Continental, BCP and Scotiabank).
- If you are looking for a wide variety of handicrafts at a comfortable price, you can find them in the port of Puno. On the other hand in the main street (Lima) we can find shops of recognized brands throughout Peru where you will find the finest and beautiful samples.